The Civil Engineering Department at Cambridge Institute of Technology was established in the year 2014. The Department of Civil Engineering at Cambridge Institute of Technology offers quality education among the students to bring out the best Civil Engineering professionals. The course is based on the syllabus prescribed by the Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. The Department has an annual intake of 60 students. The Department is supported by well experienced, qualified faculty and supporting staff.
The Department of Civil Engineering aligns its vision with the overarching goal of the Cambridge Institute of Technology to groom students into industry-ready, global professionals. Through relevant pedagogical approaches and necessary infrastructure and resources, the Department inculcates professional competence, personal and interpersonal skills to groom its students to become globally competent.
The experienced faculty at the Department integrate conventional teaching methods along with experiential learning techniques. During the course, the emphasis is on engineering basics to enable students to collect, experiment and analyze the data. The students are also given insights into professional challenges in various Civil Engineering domains.
The department of Civil Engineering presently runs with eight well equipped laboratories, seminar hall and smart classrooms. The laboratories in the department are:
- Concrete and Highway Laboratory
- Material Testing Laboratory
- Environmental Engineering Laboratory
- Geotechnical Engineering Laboratory
- Software Application Laboratory
- Surveying Laboratory
- Applied Engineering Geology Laboratory
- Hydraulics Laboratory
All the laboratories are equipped with modern facilities to support teaching and to carry out state of art research works in Civil Engineering.
To impart quality education in Civil Engineering and Technology to develop competent engineers with a global perspective.
M1: Develop relevant pedagogical approaches supported by the necessary infrastructure and resources.
M2: Instil ability to collect data, experiment, analyze, design and interpret the results relevant to the specific domain.
M3: Inculcate professional competence, personal and interpersonal skills to groom students to become globally competent.
Dr. S S Salimath
B.E, M.E, PhD.
Professor and HOD
The department of Civil Engineering was established with aim of developing professionals equipped with knowledge and skills to cope up with the needs and challenges of the dynamic field of Civil Engineering.
At present the department has an annual intake of 60 students. Presently the department is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU). In terms of infrastructure, our department is one of the best equipped departments in the region and our students are exposed to a variety of hardware and software platforms. Fully Networked campus and High speed Internet connectivity gives our students and faculty an edge over their counterparts.
The course structure of the Civil Engineering program has been specifically designed to produce skilled engineers who are ready to contribute effectively to the civil engineering profession and are ready to handle the challenges of the profession. The rigorous training aims at enabling students to apply fundamental technical knowledge and communication skills to find creative solution for technological challenges.
The ultimate objective of the faculty and the Department is to inculcate the sense of responsibility in its students so that they practice civil engineering in a responsible, professional and ethical manner and implement eco-friendly sustainable technologies for the benefit of industry and society.
During the course of study, student will learn to analyse and design various technical components such as RCC structures, steel structures, composite structures and pre-stressed concrete structures and maintain Infrastructure development which includes Highways, Railways, Airports, Harbour, Bridges, Dams Tunnel and Docks. They will also learn to apply their knowledge of Environmental Studies such as Water Supply Engineering, Sanitary and Sewage engineering to know the impact of environmental issues. Also, the students are taught to understand and apply the basic concepts of management, business, public policy, quality, leadership, finance and its importance of professional licensure for civil engineering projects.
In our quest to groom industry-ready professional with a global perspective, we explore our collaborations with industry partners to provide internship opportunities to our students. The Department is well-connected to the biggest names in the industry and is able to provide the best internship opportunities to its students.
Construction of structures, and the science of concrete and building materials.
Planning, design, and supervision of the construction of facilities essential to modern life, like space satellites and launching facilities, offshore structures, bridges, buildings, tunnels, highways, transit systems, dams, airports, harbours, water supple system, wastewater treatment plants and smart cities.
Training in design & drafting, materials & survey.
Program Educational Outcomes (PEOs)
The program educational objectives of civil engineering are designed to produce skilled engineers who are ready to contribute effectively to the civil engineering profession & are ready to handle the challenges of the profession.
To apply fundamental technical knowledge & communication skills to find creative solution for technological challenges.
To take up higher education & to engage in research & development in civil engineering.
To practice civil engineering in a responsible, professional & ethical manner & implement eco-friendly sustainable technologies for the benefit of industry & society.
To enrich competence of graduates to implement emerging techniques for societal needs.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
PSO1: Analyze and design various technical areas such as Design of RCC Structures, Design of Steel Structures, design of composite structures and pre-stressed concrete structures which are interpreted with experiments.
PSO2: To design and Maintain Infrastructure development which includes Highways, Railways, Airports, Harbor, Bridges, Dams Tunnel and Docks.
PSO3: To apply the knowledge of Environmental Studies such as Water Supply Engineering, Sanitary and Sewage Engineering and to know the impact of environmental issues
PSO4: To understand and apply the basic concepts of management, business, public policy, quality and leadership, finance, and its importance of professional license for construction projects
Placements & Opportunities
- Graduates can be placed at different construction companies, design and drafting consultancies and project management consultancies along with state and central government agencies.
- Civil Engineering graduates can also be placed at various Public Sector Units.
- They can also be placed at various IT companies wherein they can work on the software related to Civil Engineering
- Apart from these, Civil Engineering graduates are more often bent towards becoming entrepreneurs and contributing towards the growth of the nation.
- They are also eligible to write Public Service Examination (UPSE, KPSC) which enables the students to pursue a career as IAS/IES.
- Over recent years, the demand for civil and structural engineers in countries such as Australia, Singapore, New Zealand and China has only increased.
- Civil Engineering has always readily adopted new technologies, using innovations like suspension systems to build bridges and GPS to plot new roads. And as technology continues to evolve, we can expect that the civil engineering field will only keep incorporating new technologies in increasingly creative ways.
- Graduates of Civil Engineering can also pursue higher studies abroad in foreign universities. Students can opt for a Master’s programme in their core engineering or allied subject. This could be an MS in Engineering or a ME or M.Tech.
- Graduates who aspire to enter the world of business and management can opt to study an MBA and specialize in a subject relevant to their undergraduate study. The graduates can be absorbed into companies abroad after their higher studies
Professional Scope for Civil Engineers
On completion of the program, several opportunities in the private and public sector await Civil Engineers. As a Civil Engineer, a candidate can apply for the following job roles:
- Construction Engineers
- Geotechnical Engineers
- Structural Engineers
- Building control surveyor
- CAD technician
- Consulting civil engineer
- Contracting civil engineer
- Design engineer
- Nuclear engineer
- Site engineer
- Structural engineer
- Water engineer
- Rural and Urban Transport Engineer
Our students have also been placed in public sector organisations. Some of our top recruiters from the public sector include:
- Indian Oil Corporation(IOCL)
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited(BSNL)
- Gas Authority of India Limited(GAIL)
- Steel Authority of India Limited(SAIL)
- Indian Space Research Organisation(ISRO)
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited(NTPC)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited(BHEL)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited(ONGC)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited(HAL)
- Public Works Department (State and Central)
We take pride in our success to groom competent candidates and inculcate the spirit of entrepreneurship in our students. The following chart shows the number of students who have chosen the path of entrepreneurship post the Civil Engineering program with the Cambridge Institute of Technology.
Our Top Recruiters
The Department of Civil Engineering stresses the importance of a balanced study and social life. With this objective, the Department encourages a lot of co-curricular and enriching activities along with being stringent on academic requirements.
The Department organizes seminars and workshops on a regular basis. These seminars and workshops are organised with the objective of providing exposure to students on recent trends and latest technologies. The Department also organizes guest lectures by renowned academia for its students to provide them the opportunity of insightful learning.
The Department emphasizes best quality teaching along with practical based approach of learning to the students. It encourages students to participate in various inter-collegiate technical fests where-in students can get technical exposure.
Industry exposure is a must have for every student. Hence, the Department has established very strong industry collaborations by instituting Memorandums of Understanding with the leading industry names of the country.
Department encourages several co-curricular and enriching activities along with being stringent on academic requirements.
- Seminars on recent trends, Workshops on latest technologies & Guest Lectures by renowned academia are conducted regularly.
- The Dept. encourages students to participate in various inter-collegiate technical fests where-in students can get technical exposure.
- Department emphasizes on best quality teaching along with practical based approach of learning
- Industry – Institute interaction of the department is strengthened by having Memorandum of Understanding.
- Every year, students are given a platform called “INTUIT” to showcase their projects.
- Some of the exercises that hone the students’ skills are visit to Bangalore Traffic Management Centre, visit to Karwar Harbour and Varahi Underground Hydro-Electric Power Project, Insightful visits to Water Treatment Plant at Thorekadanahalli & Shivanasamudra.
- Well-planned and detailed Workshops like the Two-day workshop on ‘recent trends in civil engineering’ in association with ICI– KBC Bengaluru; practical aspects of construction management integrated solid waste management”; & workshop on “civil simplified” all help students understand the course better thereby learning skills required as Civil Engineers
Academic Support & mentoring
Our team of faculty at the Civil department focus on the following objectives laying strong strategies to support and encourage students in building their skills and expertise.
- Integrate conventional teaching methods along with experiential learning techniques.
- Augment resources and infrastructure for overall development of the department.
- Emphasize on engineering basics to enable students to collect, experiment and analyze the data.
- Give insight into the professional challenges in various Civil Engineering domains.
- Induce creative thinking, self-confidence and team spirit among the students.
To be updated soon..
“FASTEST HAND FIRST” – an AUTOCAD Building Planning and Drawing competition:
Among the many initiatives by the Civil Engineering Dept., “Fastest Hand First” – An AutoCAD Competition at the intra-department level was organized at the behest of Prof. Shivaraj M along with Prof. Chandrika P and Prof. Sindhu. It was a contest that decided the winner based on his/her AutoCAD drafting skills and speed along with accuracy. This contest basically tested the Building Planning capabilities of the students.
“INTUIT 2019 – Innovation Manifested”
INTUIT 2019 – Innovation Manifested – A project exhibition and competition was held at the Department of Civil Engineering, Cambridge Institute of technology on 16th and 17th May 2019. All the students showcased their innovative ideas through working models and colourful technical posters. It was a great way of imbibing practical knowledge amongst students with a competitive spirit.